Monday, April 13, 2015

Bible Verse of the Day: Psalm 13:1-6

Psalm 13 is dear to my heart because I've asked myself the same questions that the psalmist asked God. So, today, I'm changing it up a little bit; I'm blogging about the whole chapter instead of just 1 or 2 verses. Eagerly, we'll go through Psalm 13 and look at ways we can glorify God after reading about suffering.

Let's read Psalm 13:1-6 below:


How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? 3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, 4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him," lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love, my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Verse 1 - After going through a difficult trial for a long period of time, its very easy to get caught up in negative thoughts such as "Why am I still going through this? It's been _____ weeks\months\years, and nothing has changed. It's not getting better, and it's only getting worse."

Verse 2 - This psalmist is sad. He's realizing his tendency to focus on sad things. He's also wrestling with ungodly thoughts. His enemy is winning the fight. It's not easy to rejoice when your enemy wins. 

Verse 3 - Wanting answers more than wanting to worship God...hmmm, something's not right here. the writer of this psalm is beginning to realize his idol of wanting answers to his problems, isn't he? Its totally eating him up & he cant stop thinking about it.

Verse 4 - The psalmist doesn't want his enemy to brag about his win.

Verse 5 - Hope has finally arrived! The anticipated solution is here and did you catch what it was?!?! It is this: trust God's greater plan, purpose, sovereignty and love. Also, it is: rejoice in salvation. Everyone has a unique testimony of how God drew them closer to Himself.

Verse 6 - the final solution to worry, fear, anxiety, etc. is sing praise and worship songs. My passion is music that brings glory to God and when I read that I was excited and shocked because that was JUST what I needed at that moment: to fix my heart's attention on praising God's character. Think about one of God's attributes each day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this "reflection" on Psalm 13, Rachel! I'm so thankful to see Christ shining in you through your writing. Way to go! ~ Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done, Rachel! Thanks for allowing the light of Christ to shine through you! Thanks much, Maggie Boggan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It makes my day to hear from you!
~Rachel