"The further you go from the Bible,
the further your heart goes from Christ."
~ Pastor Johnny Kjaer, youth pastor at Faith Church
~ Pastor Johnny Kjaer, youth pastor at Faith Church
In today's blog post, I'm going to answer this question:
Why should I read the Bible?
1. Because it is impossible to love Christ when you don't spend time with Him in His Word.
Christians claim to love Christ, but if they don't spend time with Him, they aren't really loving Him. Reading the Bible is loving God enough to say, "I'm going to read Your Word because I love You and I care about what You have to say to me and I want to grow to be more like You."
2. Because it convicts us of areas that we need to grow in.
If I'm reading "Love is patient" from 1 Corinthians 13:4a, I'm convicted of my sin of impatience. (Side note: conviction can't happen without the Holy Spirit.) When I am convicted about impatience, my reaction should be, "The best way to love my friends and family is to be patient. I need to love others by being more patient. And I'm not loving others when I am impatient."
3. Because it helps to strengthen your relationship with God.
If you aren't praying or reading your Bible, you're probably not growing spiritually.
4. Because it tells us what to put off (sin) and what to put on (the righteousness of Christ).
Ephesians 4:22-24 says, "to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness."
5. Because the Bible is our weapon to defeat temptation.
When temptation comes, we can say "no" to it by quoting Bible verses. That's exactly what Jesus did when He was tempted in Matthew 4:1-11.
Ephesians 6:17 says, "and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," In this passage, we learn that the Bible is our weapon to defeat sin!
CONCLUSION
I can't emphasize this enough: read your Bible every day! A great place to start is John, 1 Corinthians 13, Romans 8, and Psalms. That's what I've been reading, and it's been great! Strengthen your relationship with God by praying and reading your Bible.
I can't emphasize this enough: read your Bible every day! A great place to start is John, 1 Corinthians 13, Romans 8, and Psalms. That's what I've been reading, and it's been great! Strengthen your relationship with God by praying and reading your Bible.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment! It makes my day to hear from you!
~Rachel