But wait! Have you read the other previous chapters?
If not, here are the links to my other blog posts of Chapters 1-3 and introduction.
"Y'all ready to go fishing?" Uncle Ken asked.
"Yeah!" cheered the kids.
Our party of seven plus one baby on-the-way headed toward Uncle Ken's black pickup truck where the fishing poles stood. Uncle Ken grabbed a pole and handed it to Olivia. "Go there yonder to that big boulder and fish," he said with a country twang.
Livi happily obeyed, running to the huge boulder. There, she sat and cast her line in.
... 30 minutes later ...
"I got one!" Livi shouted, reeling in her line. Uncle Ken rushed over to help her. He grabbed her pole and pulled in a big, juicy flounder.
"Wow!" Hope exclaimed, awed at the majestic fish that was hanging on the pole.
"Ooh!" said Julia.
"Wanna pull him off, Livi?" asked Uncle Ken.
"He's too slimy!" Emily replied, apparently grossed out at the fish.
Carefully, Olivia grasped the flounder with two hands. Then she unhooked him from the fishing pole hook and showed the family quickly. And after that, she tossed it in the opened cooler full of ice and other flopping fish.
"Great job, Olivia!" encouraged Emily. "I don't know if I ever would've been able to pull that off!" Emily learned from Olivia to compliment others even when you've lost the race or when you're grossed out.
Little one-year-old Josh stuck his fingers in the cooler to rub the flounder's slimy back. "No, no, Josh," Aunt Rosemary said. "He might bite you."
Satisfied, Uncle Ken announced, "Well, let's call it a day! We've caught four fish already!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They arrived home and busily packed the fish away in the freezer for later.
Olivia nudged Emily. "I'm hungry; aren't you?"
Emily frowned. "No, I was grossed out by the fish too much and now I'm not hungry anymore."
Livi walked in the kitchen. "Auntie, may I have a snack?"
"Yes, you may, Livi," Aunt Rosemary replied, handing her a banana. It was a refreshing treat after a long day of outdoor fun.
Then, Olivia heard footsteps approaching the kitchen. It was Emily, with her hands full of gorgeous tulip petals. "Where are you puttin' it, Emily?" asked four-year-old Julia.
"Over here. On the table." Emily replied.
The table was perfect -- all beautifully arranged with yellow blossoming tulips. After admiring the gorgeous setting, Olivia was inspired to journal about her experiences today. She clambered up the stairs, rushed to her journal and began writing.
Olivia scribbled in her journal in her best cursive handwriting:
June 25, 2014 2:48 pm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Diary,
Today, Emily and I went to the garden to pick some flowers. We got some fabulous tulips! After that, Aunt Rosemary and Uncle Ken announced that they're having another baby! Awesome! Then we went fishing and I caught a flounder!
Love,
Olivia ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment! It makes my day to hear from you!
~Rachel